Thursday, February 09, 2006

Wedding Update



Most of you are up to date with our plans, but I thought I'd blog about them to fill anyone in who doesn't yet know.....

After we got back from Vanuatu and announced our great news we pretty quickly booked our venues and made the date...that was the easy part.

Over the last few months I've been making millions of phone calls, sending loads of emails and generally getting stuck into this massive production. I say massive, but we are actually doing a fairly small one (which is still a massive job) I pity those who attempt what one would call a large wedding!! There just seems to be so many options and so many people to talk to before you make a decision. I'd love to be able to snap my fingers and be impulsive, but my brain knows I won't get another shot at this so I want to do it right!

We headed down to the bridal expo last weekend. OH MY GOSH! I have never seen so many bridal-like things in the one place. We got free tickets from a friend of mine (and one reason for going was to catch up with her) but thousands of people were paying $18 a piece to be hounded by jewellers, photographers, car hirers, florists, dress makers and the like!! Unbelievable!

Anyway, we chatted to a few nice photographers and a jeweller or two and then basically spent our time hunting around for samples of chocolates and cake! our reward for braving the crowds.

We now have an appointment with a lovely photographer next wednesday who is willing to work with us on our terms and not hold us to ransom over our negatives. One of the photographers at the expo actually said that reprints were $8 EACH! and we would get our negatives only after 3 years! The cheek of some people! He then went on to tell us what a good deal it was as the industry standard for reprints was $25 each!

You will notice my excessive use of bold and !!!! but you can imagine my outrage over some of this crap!

Anyway, straight after the bridal expo we headed to the travel expo (again free tix) and actually (after about an hour of standing around) managed to book our honeymoon! WOOHOO!! we are heading off for two exciting weeks to Vietnam! and we got about $300 each off our airfares...that's $600 more for us to spend on accom and fabulous vietnamese stuff! Very excited.

I have also put down a deposit on a dress (I'll go and get fitted and pay some more money in a week or two) and of course I already have my shoes. There is really only the flowers, invites, jewellery/rings and food to arrange (and Flit is doing a beer tasting trip for the reception...he is looking for volunteers...not too hard to find I would guess)

I am not sure if you all know who is in our bridal party...yes we have finally sorted that part too! We have my sister Jane as Matron of Honour, Sarah as Bridesmaid, Nero as Best(worst)man and Mattes as Grooms(messy)man.

Anyway, that about rounds out my plans for the moment. Today actually marks exactly 7 months till the big day so I guess this post is rather timely.

Sorry Mattes if this was too "lifestyle channel" for you.

No comments: