Monday, August 20, 2007

Virgin Broadband - What's the catch?

I've been seeing ads for "free" broadband with Virgin if you have your home phone through them, and I thought I'd look it up to see just how gigantic the catch is.

I was actually pleasantly surprised, it seems like a fairly good deal for non-high volume downloaders. Basically you pay $60 a month and you get a wireless router/modem which you can also plug your phone into. The cost includes 4gigs a month at 512k, plus all landline calls and calls to virgin mobiles. And because the "landline" is actually wireless, you don't need to pay all the line rental fees normally associated with phones, plus you get the wireless modem to take if you are travelling in Australia (but your landline will only work within a certain radius of your home, apparently there are laws against giving people portable phones which aren't mobiles).

It's interesting anyway... not for me because I prefer faster speeds and larger download limits, but for anyone who just likes having the internet at home for emails etc and has a home phone, it's actually a pretty solid deal.

Here is an article with all the details

No comments: