Thursday, July 05, 2007

Maybe I'm Amazed

Here's a funny little thing that happened to me this week.

Sarah was kind enough to feed me Red Lentil Soup before we left Quidong a few weeks ago , and I've been meaning to ask her for the recipe since. I finally remembered when email was in easy reach and shot the request off earlier this week. She promptly replied with the surprisingly simple recipe that I haven't yet tried but will soon, maybe after I get myself a bamix (note the model name).

Also this week, I read an article in the SMH about a former lover of both George Harrison and Eric Clapton who inspired Clapton's very famous song Layla. The article got around to naming the muses of other famous musicians such as Bob Dylan and Paul McCartney and ended by saying McCartney's song "Maybe I'm Amazed" is the best love song he ever wrote. I was curious about the song as it wasn't in my Beatles collection, and this is because it was a song by Wings. Being a Geek, I of course looked it up on Wikipedia, and found something funny.

When Paul and Linda McCartney appeared on the Simpsons, the song "Maybe I'm Amazed" is played over the closing credits. In the episode Paul tells Lisa that playing MIA backwards reveals a secret lentil soup recipe, and the version played over the credits actually has a back-mask of Paul McCartney reciting a recipe for lentil soup. So I think the Universe really really wants me to make Lentil soup.

Sarah's Recipe:

Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil
Add 1 brown onion, chopped and cook for a few minutes till softened.
Add 2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 fresh red chilli, chopped
1 teaspoon of ground cumin
and 1 teaspoon of ground coriander and stir for a few minutes till fragrant.
Add 1 tablespoon of tomato paste
2 tins of crushed tomatoes
1 cup of red lentils
2 cups of chicken stock and cook on low heat for 20 minutes. Blend (if you want) and serve.

Paul McCartney's:

one medium onion, chopped
two tablespoons of vegetable oil
one clove of garlic, crushed
one cup of carrots, chopped
two sticks of celery, chopped
half a cup of lentils
one bay leaf
one tablespoon of freshly-chopped parsley
salt and freshly-ground pepper to taste
two and a quarter cups of vegetable stock or water

Just as a side note, this is the 651st post on this blog.

4 comments:

Margs said...

funny you should raise this...

as we left the mountains last weekend we discussed soup and how nice it would be to have a big hot bowl of the homemade variety...by the time we got home I was craving the stuff, so going by what Sarah had told us was in her lentil soup I devised a simillar concoction (our version was blended) and lo and behold...we feasted! Good work lady on the recipe! thoroughly recommend you all try it (with our without a bamix)

Sarah said...

The universe is calling your name Mattwa!

All the stupid universe is telling me today is that it doesn't love me anymore and I should run away and join the circus for freakish but relatively untalented performers...

Noodle said...

I think Sarah's recipe kicks Paul McCartney's recipe's arse.

Flit said...

Linda McCartney was always the better cook, in the UK there's (or maybe was?) a whole range of Linda McCartney veggie meals which basically looked/smelt/tasted to a certain degree like a meaty counterpart, we had such fun guessing which parts of her were in each dish - "hmm this looks like a finger in this (non-)meat pie, that'll be Linda".

Maybe I should just go and have a lie down.