Thursday, June 26, 2008

My Sydney Film Festival

I've done it. 10 films in 18 days to set a new world record in Sydney Film Festival attendance. In honour of this incredible acheivment I have decided to give you my review of all 10 films I saw in ascending order of Brilliance. As Haiku. Enjoy

Lake Tahoe
Mexican Car crash
Stony faced sadness revealed
short film strung way out

Married Life
Forties noir romance
Stroll through a sordid affair
McAdams is hot

The Band's Visit
Egyptian band lost
Israeli folk kind and odd
Roller Disco love

Persepolis
Iran's a tough place
Girl flees, returns, flees again
Shaun Penn is the Dad!

The Square
Suburban Thriller
A rash dash prompted by cash
well paced, Joel and Nash

Happy Go Lucky
Better than Edith
Driving instructor goes nuts
Bubbly nut just goes

Choke
Sex addict con-man
Mum is Bonkers, he drifts lost
As does anal bead

Three Blind Mice
Three young sailors land
shameful secrets, new love; found
Bert's boy plays it well

Anvil: The Story of Anvil
Spinal Tap for real
Ageing rockers chase their break
Heart-felt metal gold

In Bruges
Irish hitmen hide
Guilty kill and racist dwarf
Festival top-pick


And there you have it. I must thank Nick for organising tickets for me to all the films, inviting me to free drinks and generally putting on a film festival for me.

Comments welcome. Preferably in Haiku

7 comments:

Margs said...

Festival was great
rare peotic side in Matt!
Saw 4 films myself

Flit said...

there once was a man called mattess
who liked to watch films in a dress
he hated 'Tahoe'
cos he thought it too slow
and I've failed this haiuku I confess

Jenny said...

Me, I saw no films,
Since Paris is very far,
Refrigerator.

Noodle said...

An eloquent and moving collection, this debut my Mr Starr promises much - and delivers! The journey he takes us on is vast and broad, and I look forward to his next haiku adventure. 4 stars.

Sarah said...

I too ditch Haiku:

A Complete History of My Sexual Failures
T'was a scrawny sex-challenged Brit
Who tried to act shitter than shit.
His "antics" with love
Down our throats were shoved.
Thank goodness for the old Scottish gits.

Stop Loss
Twas a group of tough Texan lads
Who wound up in nasty Baghdad.
But when their trip home was earned
They couldn't shake what they'd learned.
Back to war was the one choice they had.

(And that's really all I have to add.)

Jeff said...

Newcastle
brothers run naked
"not your average surf flick"
their dad is Kenny

Chop Shop
rough life, auto repair
sister turns tricks at truck stop
food van is way out

Sarah said...

Nice one Jeff. A stellar debut.