Thursday, June 25, 2009

Final assignment

It’s been 2 years and 11 months since little Liela shimmied into my life and what a ride it’s been.

She’s kept the hour from many a different time zone, reunited me with faraway family and friends, captured drunken shenanigans, illuminated light swtiches and keyholes, helped me verbally abuse a florist, survived nights crushed into a clutch with jagged keys, been rescued from abandonment at the Pickled Possum and admirably resisted dozens of ignorant attempts to flip her open. Her pretty pink screen has flashed knowingly at me countless times. Her much maligned little tassel has guided me to her light in many a flustered moment. She charmed me from the go-get and to this day I still hold her in the highest regard.

But everyone deserves their dignity. At her age, with her battery fading quicker each day and her screen furrowed with the marks of time, it seems only fair that she be allowed to put her speakers up. To relax and enjoy her twilight years in comfortable retirement. And so I gave the venerable dame one last assignment, a final opportunity to flex her 1.3megapixels and give it everything she’s got. And like the true professional, she didn’t let me down:

‘A portrait of baby Edith’ by Liela N Franklin

No comments: