Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Farewell Lana, or Australian Idol: Sausage Fest 2007


Three weeks, three ladies leave the Australian Idol stage. When the final 12 had a gender imbalance to begin with (7 - 5 to the blokes), this years competition is making it pretty clear what the average female teen voter wishes to see... boys!

Lana has been on the chopping block every week, and with good reason. She was a weak singer and chose boring songs (or made interesting songs boring). I'm not surprised she has been voted off, but I really thought Marty was going this week. He has also been in the firing lines, and produced probably the worst butchering of a song in Idol history (you should check out his rendition of You Sexy Thing, I fully expected the earth to open up and swallow him whole for his crimes against nature).

There are just so many average singers this year, it's hard to predict which one of them will get the chop each week. So far the handful of decent singers have escaped, but it can't be long before they start going in favour of the "cute" boys. And that brings me on to a little rant...

Why is it that last week a few people got slammed for not playing enough of a "rock" song on rock night, but this week Matt Corby scores a touchdown and zero negative feedback for singing a Beatles song on Disco night?? I know "Got to get you into my life" was covered by Earth, Wind & Fire, but what exactly was it about his version that made it disco? And of course the teenie boppers (i.e. people who vote) love the way he looks enough to vote for him if he beltched the national anthem rather than singing, so he is pretty safe doing whatever the hell he feels like. Bah I say... Bah!

6 comments:

Sarah said...

I was careless enough to catch a little of Lana's song this week and boy, DID IT STINK!!!

Richard said...

It seemed like the greatest song ever sung when compared to Marty and his Hot Chocolate Massacre.

Noodle said...

I said the same thing, Richard - you just can't do that to the Beatles and get away with it. I can't believe they endorsed it!

Matt said...

Another fine report sir! I tip my hat to you.

Noodle said...

Good work Matt. There's just not ENOUGH hat tipping these days. I declare, we should do it more!

Nick said...

Richard I love these reports - They are in my top 1285 things to do in a week!