Monday, January 12, 2009

Boathouse Snapper Pie

I wanted to cook one of my favourite recipies but it had dropped off the internet, so after a quick visit to the wayback machine, I grabed it off and I'm posting it here so you can try it too ( and I can refer back to it in the future):

That famous Snapper Pie from the Boathouse at Blackwattle Bay.

INGREDIENTS

* 800g of pink snapper fillet (or blue eye cod)
* 4 dessertspoons white truffle oil
* 1kg puff pastry

Soubaise sauce
* 1.2kg sliced onions
* 1 tspn olive oil
* 400ml fish stock (homemade is best)
* 800ml cream
* 300g diced onion

WHAT TO DO
Soubise sauce: Sweat onions with olive oil and a little salt. Cook until the onions take on a very light brown colour, cool, then add fish stock and reduce by half. Add cream, and recude by half or until a thick cream consistency is reached. Remove from heat.

To cook:
In a separate pan, sweat the diced onion in a little olive oil. Meanwhile, blend the onion cream mixture, then add the cooked diced onion and adjust the seasoning. To assemble, roll pastry 1/2cm thick and cut into four ovals which are 3cm wider than the pie dishes. In each pie dish, spoon about two tablespoons of soubise sauce. Lay 200g of snapper on the sauce, cover with another tablespoon of sauce and a dessertspoon of truffle oil, then lay puff pastry lid and press down the sides. Make cool shapes and designs on the top of the pie with the left over pastry. Glaze with egg wash. Cook pies for 25 minutes at 260C. Rest for a few minutes before serving. Serve with mashed potatoes and smoked tomatoes. Serves 8.

5 comments:

Sarah said...

Looks amazing but - white truffle oil? Come on! Where do you buy your white truffle oil, John?

Margs said...

I'm sure Macro in Crowie would sell it...or simon johnson in ultimo?

Sarah said...

Oh really darrrrling. I simply must get myself to Macro for my white truffle oil.

Actually, while I'm at it, does anyone know where to get unrolled puff pastry? I am in hate with the sheets.

Matt said...

The Essential Ingredient in Crowie would be my bet for white truffle oil.

I've looked for un-rolled puff pastry in the past and have never found it. I think it may be a myth.

Flit said...

I've got a bottle at home, I've used about 2 teaspoons worth in 2 years, can't honestly remember where I got it from, probably Macro daaaaarling.