Friday, July 04, 2008

Freedom - Warning this post is of a political nature

So, Friday afternoon and I am maintaining the rage!

I have written to the Premier, the Deputy Premier and the NSW Attorney General to voice my annoyance.

Dear Attorney General,

I write to voice my growing disgust at the way civil liberties in NSW
are being curtailed for World Youth Day. I have no issue with Sydney
being the host city of this event or with the government offering
significant financial backing to it. I will even deal with the 300 odd
road closures, it is a small price to pay to live in a global city and
I wouldn't want it any other way.

The right to protest is necessary for the functioning of good
government. Protest is annoying, that part of it point isn't? Think
back to all those previously annoying protest against things like the
South Africa Government, the Vietnam war, Industrial Relations
"reform", Pauline Hanson and The Iraq war. Plainly all those momentous
protests would have been so much more effective if their signage and
shirts had be "pre-approved" by that bastion of dissent, the NSW
police force.

Every time you give away minor civil liberties you get a little bit
closer to the regimes you are sworn to protect us from. Lucky for you
most people don't miss their civil liberties until they're gone and by
then it is all to late.

Benjamin Franklin observed in 1757 -" They who can give up essential
liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty
nor safety". I'm sure Bob Carr can fill you in on the significance of
the remark.

Yours in Protest

Nick

4 comments:

Sarah said...

I could not agree with you more, Nicolai, nor could I have put it better myself.

Jeff said...

just when I thought America was the biggest offender in regards to civil liberties..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_1yqk_d6nw

Noodle said...

And most importantly Nick, well WRITTEN! Not a spelling mistake to be seen. Gold star for you!

Margs said...

I LOVE a good protest! Go Nicky! I totally agree with you on this, but I also heard that it is something that has been part of our law for sometime, wasn't it brought in during the olympics? anyone?

....I also love good spelling/grammar and I am sorry, although you have done a sterling effort on this letter, I can't agree with Noodle on his appraisal. I bring your attention to this: "Protest is annoying, that part of it point isn't?"

Apologies for being a pedant. And in the words of Nick "That is all".