Friday, January 27, 2006

A breakfast review

After reading Margaret's less than favourable review of Jordan's, I thought I might post my own little review of The Book Kitchen on Devonshire Street in Surry Hills.

After a bit of a drunken evening, I was feeling a bit worse for wear on Australia Day so decided a foray to the beach was in order. Amy and I headed out and decided to get some breakfast on the way.

I'd never been to The Book Kitchen but had heard good things about the ambience and the quality of the food so we rocked up there for the breakfast rush hour at about 10 am. The place was packed but fortunately we snagged a seat as soon as we arrived.
There was a great vibe in the place and along one wall, a bookshelf diplaying a great range of cookbooks for sale.

It took a while for the waitress to realise that we were there in the chaos but we eventually caught her eye and managed to order. We decided to follow the lead of the family sat next to us and order the true test of a good restaurant; the simple bacon and scrambled eggs. We were not disappointed! The food was sensational and both Amy and I stuffed ourselves. Amy had the hand sliced smoked salmon instead of bacon and it was truly delicious.

The coffee was fantastic; the food, awesome and although a little slow, the service was good. The price was pretty good (bill came to a little over $30) and I would most definately recommend the place to all.

www.thebookkitchen.com.au

No comments: