Friday, November 30, 2007

I bumped into David Beckham yesterday

I would have taken this exact photo with Gi-Gi (my sexy new camera) yesterday, but I was holding my hand luggage.

As I checked in for my flight home at Wellington airport yesterday, the lady commented that we would be on a 747 (they usually only allow the 737 and smaller to land at Wellington due to small runway and one of the most dangerously windy airports in the world) as David and his LA Galaxy crew were flying in on it. (I guess they needed a lot more business class seating than can be found on the lowly 737...? Extra room for entourages? Lots of suitcases? I'm pretty sure there was no seats on QF47 flight from Sydney to Wellington available to the public for that day...)

So I hung around the press area instead of the Qantas club, to get me a look at this high-falutin type. And sure enough, he and his gang came staggering up, smiled politely while a very scary Maori yelled a welcome chant at them and offered them a feathery stick (must research significance but it was a hell of a lot cooler than anything we do to welcome important guests at C.K.S.), then the entire team touched foreheads with the lineup of important Wellington officials, including this woman who was on the end of the line, about 3 feet away from me and the 75 yr old die-hard Beckham fan grinning and moaning away next to me.

My official report - D-Becks is much shorter and hotter up close in his football trackie than dolled up in the press with Posh clutching his arms.

Anyway, then I had to hurry off and board David's jet to bring me back home. Hurrah for back home!

2 comments:

Matt said...

That's very cool. Did you get him to sign any part of your anatomy?

I believe the feathery stick is a dart that the visitor must pick up. It is supposedly the manner in which it is picked up that marks said visitor as friend or foe.

Margs said...

only her boob, but she didn't want Noodle to know...