Monday, November 12, 2007

Tonga data collection and member visit

Officially, Tonga is the toughest Pacific location I have visited. Very basic and glamour-free.

But between you and me, (and everyone else I have spoken to in the last 2 weeks) Tonga is my all time favourite Pacific location. I LOVE it! In a very deep and raunchy way. Ok, not raunchy. But a lot!

The riots in November last year have had a big impact and it would be very tough to live on Tongatapu. There are a number of factors that will soon culminate in a heartbreaking 'loss of innocence' for this little kingdom but such a genuine, stripped back, traditional and big hearted place has got me lovestruck.

For me, first there was work to do:


Talamahu markets


Ocean of Light school


I met with Aussies and Kiwis and toured the hospital and a school. The newest assignee at the Australia High Commission and I visited the local market, makeshift supermarkets, browsed the half dozen or so books in the book shop, dodged chickens and pigs on our drive to the south coast of the island, discovered REAL icecream and tested a few 'reputable' restaurants. I heard from some spouses about the hardships of trying to find cheese.


Friends Cafe

Then there was not-so-work.

Pangaimotu jetty

I spent Sunday on Pangaimotu on the waters edge.

WIth a few hours at Big Mama's for fish and chips, beer and some people watching.

View from Big Mama's 'yaucht club'


I met some lovely people, with whom the nightlife was investigated.

And made some friends I plan to keep.

Now I'm plotting the holiday I must take my husband back for, before destiny gets her gruesome grip on my charming little pacific gem.

6 comments:

Margs said...

woohoo! you know what this means....Crowded house post, NEXT!

Sarah said...

I am glad you are potentially interested in my posts Lady.

Flit said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Flit said...

Try again...
When you say 'friends I plan to keep' - are we talking taxidermy?

Jenny said...

Oh Sarah with your glamorous fabulous island hopping life! How vicariously I sunbathe through you!

Margs said...

oh yes Lady! always "potentially" interested.

If I commented too much about this post, then I might not be able to see throuigh all the green mist of envy that would rise up from my being to envelope me!