Sunday, October 07, 2007

A small social experiment.

fi yuo cna raed tihs, yuo hvae a sgtrane mnid too . Cna yuo raed tihs? Olny 55 plepoe out of 100 can. i cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it dseno't mtaetr in waht oerdr the ltteres in a wrod are, the olny iproamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it whotuit a pboerlm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Azanmig huh? yaeh and I awlyas tghuhot slpeling was ipmorantt! if you can raed tihs witre a cemnomt.

11 comments:

Noodle said...

Yeah, reading THAT was easy. I still find reading some of Good Nick's emails/posts a challenge though...

Flit said...

I was tempted to say "eh what" but I can read that no pebrolm

Margs said...

I was just curious as it says only 55/100 can read it.

and yes, I know what you mean about GNick's posts...sorry GNick, but you know it's true.

Richard said...

it was esay eogunh to raed. i'm spresiurd olny 55% of ppoele can raed it.

Margs said...

...maybe the remaining 45% just can't read at all!

Bron said...

a cemnomt

john said...

No trouble either. 45.7% of statistics are made up anyway.

Margs said...

That's your favourite quote John....I am amazed at how many times you so sneakily weave it into conversation!

Sarah said...

From Linguistics at uni, I remember learning that just about all literate people should be able to read this as we all read by taking in the whole word, not the string of letters in order. I should think that only dyslexic readers would have a problem.

That makes none of us special.

As to Nicolai's compositions, the inclusion of letters that don't belong and exclusion of phonemes vital to the identification of the word will negate any capabilities we have to recognise jumbled letters.

That makes Nicolai special.

Noodle said...

Verrry special

Nick said...

Well I was going to Post my Europe trip update but Noodle killed that idea. Pft to you all PFT!