Friday, April 07, 2006

Memoirs from a rice paddy...

What follows are some images and thoughts from my wonderful holiday in Vietnam.

I shall not start at the beginning because that would surely prompt me to go right through to the end- a long and lovely path better viewed from on it, rather than through the eye of the beholder. Perhaps a nice skip through though… Let me see now.

The Mekong Delta!

We left the beaten track to explore the Mekong on the back of motorbikes, cruising along past the rice paddies, stilt homes, water buffalo, grinning waving children. We spent a day swinging back and forth on hammocks as we motored down the Bassac past fishing boats, market places, farm and villages, grinning waving children. We spent my birthday downing Tiger beers at a floating restaurant and became grinning waving children.


Then there was the Central Western Highlands.


We trekked into tiny minority villages where we staid with locals in long houses- bed free, chair free, toot free, tap free but surprisingly abundant in farm animals, mosquitoes and blaring propaganda through loud speakers at 5am. Believe me when I say it was a fantastic experience I would love to repeat, though far from fabulous!

Did I mention the beautiful elephant I met in our second village? At this moment I was so excited, I may well have wet myself...
Civilisation was plentiful though, and richly rewarding. There was the buzz and thrill of Saigon, the frenzy and French charm of Hanoi and my pick of the cities- heavenly Hoi An. More glorious food, enchanting architecture, shopping for clothes and art, more Tiger and Le Rue and Saigon, great nightlife, great coffee…
Here I am with my best Penny at our office in Hoi An.

This is what we were probably looking past the photographer at.

4 comments:

Jenny said...

It looks (and sounds) amazing! What a wonderfully exotic and exciting adventure!

I love the photo of the little boat being paddled in the sparkly blue water- looks just like a shot from a tourist brochure!

Matt said...

So glad to see you're adequately representing our scruffy, dopey, irreverent and slightly oblivious nation over there Sarah! Keep up the good work.

Sarah said...

But I'm back already...

Noodle said...

He means from Gordon. Well done!