Monday, April 03, 2006

Paris Update

I just know you've all been salivating in anticipation of the next installment of my adventures in Paris, so here it is.

I've been in Paris over a week now and am starting to feel very comfortable. My first foray into a foreign speaking nation saw me parylised with nervousness. What would the Frenchies be like? Would they scorn me for not knowing the intricacies of their complex language? Would I be treated as a second class citizen, or worse, an american? My fears were soon allayed and I am happy to say the French have been nothing but curteous to me. Sometimes cold, sometimes dismissive even, but normally and overwhelmingly helpful and kind.

This week I've covered off pretty well all the major attractions and still had time to laze around in bars and get though nearly 3 novels. I've thankfully also avoided any kind of rioting although the police presence here is very heavy and Jen and I have seen loads of Gendarmes in full riot gear and driving around the city in huge convoys. I've now seen the Louvre, The Tour Eiffel, The Notre Dame, the Sacre Coeur, Montmartre, the Moulin Rouge (from the outside), the catacombs, the Arc de Triomphe, the Champs Elysee blah blah blah and the list goes on.

I have had to put back my departure from Paris due to Train strikes, held for the same reason everyone else in Paris is upset, the CPE. At this stage I'll be leaving for Nice on Wednesday morning, meaning my time in Italy will be a little bit shorter than first intended. These things happen I suppose, nothing I can do about it, except annoy Jen for another day or two.

That's me done for now, I,ll leave you with some pictures, all of which can be viewed at zooomr.


PICT0464.JPG

And I thought Tina Arena being here was weird...


PICT0388.JPG

Cheese and wine at Chez Jen


PICT0401.JPG

Some armless statue thing.


PICT0516.JPG

The Catacombs...freaky


PICT0527.JPG


Arc de Jen

1 comment:

john said...

How did you find the Catacombs? very creep but amazing. I see you dared to use a flash in there, breaking all the rules. If the paris police weren't busy enough, i'd sick em on you.


Oh BTW, I ran into domonic who said he is thinking of going to Gallipoli for Anzac day and might give you a ring to meet up if you are interested.