Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Nice Hemisphere, shame about the weather

Well hello all, this is my first post from abroad. Thought I'd keep you all updated on my progress. I'm presently in London, arriving cold and bewildered at 5 am yesterday morning. The flights went well except for the old gent 2 rows behind me. 2 hours before touch down in singapore had something like a small heart attack. He was okay but it was touch and go for a while there.

The weather here is bloody freezing! It's been no warmer than 5 degrees since I've been here. Once I finish writing this, I'm off to see if I can find a beanie and scarf to protect my delicate features from frostbite. I'm staying in Dominic from uni's flat in the northwest of London. He, funnily enough is in Sydney by now, and he has gone above and beyond the call of duty to help me out.

This morning Dee and I went to visit the tower of London, which I have to say was a very impressive place. The tour guide we had was hilarious, and the crown Jewels were very pretty.

I'll be posting again soon, and hopefully next time I'll remember my camera cable so I can put up some pictures. My travel email is mp[insert my last name]@gmail.com if you wish to contact me directly. I can also send and receive text messages.

seeya

10 comments:

Flit said...

It's England, it's March - of course it's cold! I hope you didn't expect the first day of spring (March 21st over there)to trigger tropical weather, cos you're in for a big dissapointment?!

Having seen the crown jewels maybe you can add your weight to the 'are they real or not'debate.

Noodle said...

Sounds like an exciting end to the flight! About all the excitement that I had when I went overseas was a kid crying behind me for most of the trip, so you're one up on me already. Well done you!

Hope that you find adequate clothing soon!

john said...

You'd probably be looking for the same clothing in Summer too.

Matt said...

well they don't look particularly real at all. I guess I've never seen diamonds that big before, so I can't speak from experience.

Jenny said...

I haven't seen those ones (yet) but from seeing other jewels from back when the royals had no qualms about bleeding a country dry to dress their houses and selves up in gold (oh wait, they still do that?), diamonds and pearls and other jewels are that big sometimes (though I wonder about the quality of stones that big, since I'm obviously an expert in 400 carat jewels), it's just that these days, there is no way anyone could afford them!

john said...

It goes without saying you bought one for Bronny right?

Flit said...

The debate was more along the lines of...

As the real ones are so incredibly valuable, have they substituted them with fakes for security reasons - in the same way that many of the Italian sculptures have been replaced with copies. Personally I think they are real and the low-key security would quickly change into some very high-key security if any attempt was made to remove them. Margy may disagree with this view however!

Margs said...

I absolutely do! I reckon those jewels are fake! I swear I saw glue dripping down the side of one of the scepters!

Those Brits think they've fooled everyone, but I know...I'm onta you!!

Margs said...

ps it's lovely to be in front of a computer again..it's been so long...and will be along time till I'm here again!

Flit said...

Final proof if it was really required that my betrothed is utterly bonkers.