Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Shoesday - The Worshipful Company of Cordwainers

Hello fellow shoe lovers and witnesses to our dedication. I was a little startled to find that I’d been incorrectly assuming that a cobbler, apart from being a delightful dessert, is the name for a shoe maker. Not so! Those in the trade will tell you that a cobbler is merely he or she who repairs shoes. (Hey, don’t get me wrong, these noble men and women have a very special place in our society.) The proper term for a shoe maker, the craftsman of craftsmen, the artist and poet, is a Cordwainer.



Also today, I found out that there is an organisation called “The Worshipful Company of Cordwainers”, headquartered in London. The auspicious organisation was founded in 1272 as a guild and thrives today, supporting the art of cordwaining through education, fellowship and charity fund management. I love that these archaic groups still exist, in “Clothworkers Hall, Dunster Court, Mincing Lane” no less.

4 comments:

Margs said...

Go the Cordwainers! It all sounds very official and exclusive I must say!

Jenny said...

In french, The word for cobbler (the shoefixer, not the desert) ir cordonnier. Coincidence, I think not. Project for another Shoesday, the etymology of this cordy shoeness.

As an aside, I love cobblers. Is there nothing they can't do?

As another aside, I they really called cobblers still? It sounds very old fashioned.

Sarah said...

I think they're called 'key cut and shoe repair' persons, if you want to get technical Jenny.

Jenny said...

It's funny that shoes and keys go together. Here as well, they are a well established duo.