Thursday, July 20, 2006

Wakefield

Welcome to my favourite pastime involving 4 wheels – “as much fun as you can have without your trousers exploding” as Jeremy Clarkson once said.



This hobby involves getting up well before the crack of dawn to drive for a couple of hours in the freezing cold to Wakefield Park just outside Goulburn. The purpose of the day is driving timed laps of Wakefield Park with the aim of beating my own best time as well as trying to beat the times of other cars in my class.

There’s normally between 6 and 9 cars on the circuit at the same time but ‘racing’ is strictly prohibited – safe passing only on straights etc. The day is excellently organized and run by the MX5 club of NSW, they provide instruction for first timers as well as doing all the track marshalling duties required. There are normally about 40-50 drivers on the day and part of the enjoyment of the day is talking to fellow owners / enthusiasts, there really is quite a cross section of society with this bunch – no stereotypes here I’m afraid, think 8 hours of straight car related talk and you’ve got it (I can hear the screaming from here).

At this point I should point out that Goulburn seems to have two different temperatures available throughout the year either 40C or freezing point, the reason this matters is that I can’t drive with the top up as it interferes with my helmet so I’m fairly exposed to the elements.



Some stats for you, Wakefield is 2.2km long with 10 turns, my best time is 1:16:63 which is an average speed of just over 103kmh, top speed (for me) is around 160kmh at turn 1 which is a gentle right hander, some of the track cars which use heavily modified engines, suspension, brakes and semi-slick tyres will top 180 through that turn. Most cars will only use 2nd, 3rd and 4th gears (myself included) once out on the course and some of the faster/talented drivers only use 3rd and 4th.

One of the biggest benefits of doing this is to really explore what the car will do in a relatively safe environment, I’ve slid off the track many times now and apart from some dust in the car no harm has been done, it really provides a release for any desire to try any of this stuff on the road – which is probably a good thing as I’d be locked up for it.

If you’re really bored and want a closer look at Wakefield Park try this map or this aerial shot or even this description of the course.

For those interested I think the first shot was taken just coming out of turn 10 and the second one is on turn 5.

Can't wait for next time.

3 comments:

Margs said...

Still scares the crap out of me! even if you do say it's safe...these pictures don't help either!

Happy you like it though xx

Nick said...

Is the a class for 1984 Honda Civics.

Wigglet has made it to 140 on the way to Cowra once?

Flit said...

As long as the person is invited by a club member anyone can drive any car on the day - as long as it is road legal. In fact as your roof is a structural part of your car you wouldn't be required to wear a helmet on the track.

There are normally between 5 and 10 non-MX5's on each day, one guy brings his Nissan Pulsar along regularly, complete with roofrack. I've seen a 911 and a stock Commodore on the track at the same time, getting round the track fast is as much about the driver as the car.