Sunday, February 11, 2007

Winter Wonderland

Hello from Flit's Native Land

By now i assume most of you heard about my exxciting start. Number Three engine blew up on take off, we spent the nest hour dumping fuel into the ocean and then landed in Sydney. Where we were told that a new plane had been arrange for 8 hours later. I queued up to get my new ticket and was told i could leave now but my luggage would follow. So i decided how bad could that be. So i was crammed into QF11 where i lost my perfect seat - exit row ailse and was wedged between a born again fellow and a heavy metal surfer from newcastle whose first wife stole his kids and was visiting his brother in arkansas whose first wife had stole his kids.....

Well by some miricle i made LA in time for my connecting fligt after having to declare i was not a Nazi war criminal and having my duty free alcohol confiscated (complaint letter to downtownb duty free on return)

Ben, Fiona and Freya who were on a different flight were very suprised to see me as we got onto the connecting flight to Calgary. Arrived in Calgary, filled in th emissing bag report, check into the hotel and then went shopping in sears for a change of clothes and some gloves as it was -12. We then meet up with Mark from my middle east trip who resides in snowy Calgary. Mark took us out to Dinner and then to a pub to Watch Calgary beat Vancouver in Ice Hockey after sampling the local beer all night a fun night was had.

The next day we caught the Greyhound to Lake Louise - sans Luggage and Medicine. I wish i had my cable to upload some photos but it is picturesque and well and truly snow covered. Rang my travell insurance to find out how much money i could spend and went shopping for thermals. That night i taught my travelling companions 500 and Vodka was consumed.

In the morning i had to go to the local doctor and source some drugs as i was starting to notice the lack off them. Thanks to Noodle and Bron for suppling the chemical names! $100 for that - thanks travel insurance. Then headed up the mountain for a fab day skiing. Back to the Doc in the evening to pick up the drugs $102 then back to the Hostel where my Luggage was waiting! Clean clothes!!!!!

Spent the next 2 days curving up the sloops of Lake Louise in bueatiful forest trails and even managed a few jumps with little complants from the knee. On Thursday we Hired a Car and drove to Cannemore to go Dog Sledding. I was driving the sled for the first half and on a sharp hair pin turn i went flying off the sled. The instructor on the lead sled had to jump off his sled and on to our to stop it as Ben and Freya yelling woow to the dogs wasn't achieving much. I then took my turn to ride in the sled while ben and Freya drove. Well they thought they would do there best Nick inpersonation and fell off on a sharp right hand turn leaving me in the sled on a narrow trail carering towards to other sleds. Me being brilant and all found the snow anchor trew it off the sled just in time and stopped our dogs. The instructed run back to us with this look of wonderment and said "how did you get them to stop?" I explained my tactic and he thought i was awesomwe "1 in a million" to quote - but you already knew that!

When then drove to Banff (Did i mention i had to drive on the wrong side off the road in snow!) and went to the Hot Springs. It is a very strange experience to be sitting in very warm water with snow falling and Ice forming on what is left of your hair. We then drove back to Lake Louise and pick up Fiona who had beeen skiing and drove back to Banff for Dinner and a Movie (Driving in thge Dark in the Snow and on the wrong side of lthe road!) A warning to you all (if you have read this far) DO NOT WATCH EPIC MOVIE - EVER!

Yesterday we went to the Lake Louise Chatuea and partook in High Tea which rocked and then we walked down to the frozen Lake to check out some Ice Sculptures and Watched a game of Pond Hockey.

Today we went Ski-Dooing which rocked! I was the fastest in the group so got to follow the instructed and had much fun. Freay Hit a tree and did some minor damage but it was under the insurance htreshold thank god! The instructor and I were up the top of a hill waiting for the group to catch up when i managed to roll my Skidoo down a hill and on to myself. Luckly my inner thigh stopped the handle Bar - so i have some whicked swelling and i little trouble walking.

Any way time running out so no time for spell check sorry!

See you on Thursday or Wednesday if you live with me!

2 comments:

Noodle said...

I don't think enough exciting and dangerous things have happenned to you on your extreme holiday yet... maybe you should try base jumping too! Or perhaps just skip straight ahead to jumping off cliffs with no parachute and grabbing onto small twiggy tree limbs anchored in the cliff to slow you down?

Sarah said...

Hmm. As long as that knee is ok still...