Tuesday, November 15, 2005

The Damage

The hoover hooved, the screeching discomfort-causer screeched and caused discomfort, the white bright spotlight focused all attention on my distorted face, the dentist mumbled incoherently at me through his mask, peering into my very private mouth with his goggles and reaching in with his rubbery aqua coloured hands. The nurse counted the number of long noisy instruments being stacked in my mouth and the blobs of pink raspberry flavoured paste flying out of it. My own prickly conscience hovered about as witness to my gross indignity.

The verdict? Not bad for 4 years without professional supervision. Got a little cavity though that will need a little filling.

And now? My dignity has since recovered, with my mouth restored to the closed & private position and my face having had a splash or two of water.

My pocket is feeling pretty smug after the $63 gap for my three shiny new X-rays. I have not told it about the impending filling, but that won’t rip the guts out of the Christmas budget either. The cuff of my jeans are soaked from the walk back to work in the rain. My gums feel a little beaten up.

My resolve to be a good and vigilant patient has been restored. Once again, I vow never to leave appointments so far between, to floss EVERY day, to cut down my tea drinking further and to generally drink more tap water.

Yeay dentist.

No comments: