Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Shoesday - putting the boot in

Score: (something) – 1

Last night at the Anzac club in North Sydney/Cammeray/Crows Nest the brave SRFs took the mini field for their first ever game of fustal and boy, did they look handsome in their matching navy shirts.

I’ll admit to feeling some trepidation when the first goal was scored against them within 2 seconds of the starting whistle but the guys and girls of the mighty SRF soon got into the swing of it and put on a jolly good show.

The menacing white team were hungry for goals and clearly had lots of experience both with futsal and with each other. But that did not stop the virginal SRFs making all kinds of trouble for them.

We saw some edge-of-the-seat goal saves from Bryan and Mattess. Bron connected with the angry catheter-wielding monkey nurse within and was all over the bewildered whites. Jess honed her tricky passing skills while Jen and Shari revealed a natural tendency to tackle like warriors. We saw a spectacular head ball from the shiny noggin of Noodle and who could forget ‘that corner penalty’ from Good Nick that lead to the first ever SRF futsal goal.


Player of the match and winner of this week's McDonalds cheeseburger was the magnificent Matten. Just because I say so. Also, keep an eye out for Shari who has a fire in her belly and Jen who is awakening the primary school soccer star within.

Next week they’ll do a lot better without the embarrassing sideline cries from Sarah “soccer mum” F and they will have 100% more experience behind them. They may even have some more steadfast numbers behind them (some of Mattess elegant red gaffer tape numbers sneakily peeled away at half time, confusing and throwing off the sweaty white team and giving the blues an extra edge.)

What heart. What a night. What a team. While they did not win the game they certainly won the hearts of the people.

It’s going to be a great season. I can just smell it.



16 comments:

Sarah said...

Postscript: I am OS next Monday and can not report on the game. I am kicking Shoesday to Nurse Bron, appointing her to the role and to the responsibility of picking and awarding the 'player of the match' cheeseburger.

Matt said...

On current form I'm a shoe-in!(pun intended)

Jenny said...

So to my repeated question, I guess futsal is some sort of soccer?

Nick said...

It's little soccer - Futsal is what they call indoor soccer now - why who knows

Margs said...

Yay for the SRF FUTSAL Squad! Can't wait to see it all first hand and get my boots dirty doin' it!....do I need proper boots? or can I just wear sneakers?

john said...

Can I dare ask what the score was in the end?

Sarah said...

No JOhn - you can not dare.

john said...

Where are you in the pics sarah? How come your not playing?

Sarah said...

Monday was the only match I could make until November. Would love to play and will reconsider when back from all my trips.

Matt said...

Margs, you can use normal sneakers.

John, we're trying to positive spin on the result.

Noodle said...

Ooooh, tricky. But it works! Our secret is out at last!

Matt said...

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Nick said...

More attention needs to be paid to me goal off the dreaded white person!

Sarah said...

Am I the only one who can not see Good Nick's picture? All I get is that annoying little red x.

Noodle said...

No, that happens to me too. And Margaret. He needs to get his act together!

Margs said...

hear hear!