Sunday, September 18, 2005

Christmas Cave... Hurrah!

Who were we kidding? As if anything Matt could do was ever actually going to get in the way of an opportunity for me to talk about myself...

This weekend, the mammoth preparations for Christmas in September began in ernest. We went to what is apparently Australia's largest Christmas store, the Christmas Cave. And it was glorious! Above is a shot of the outside. Pretty humble compared to the festive magnificence which we found inside.

We both wondered what the staff turnover must be like, once we got inside. Suzy and I were ready to kill ourselves after listening to an hour or so of christmas carols, so I can only imagine the soul crushing despair that people who work there all day every day feel. I am sure they aren't particularly merry, that's for damn sure.
I also discovered one of the worst christmas-related tragedies of all time! Suzy has never had a christmas stocking! Luckily Christmas Cave was to the rescue, here is a pic of Suzy choosing the stocking she wanted (I've taught her well)

Well I won't give away too much about what we got, I think it would be better if it is all burnt into your retina when you step through the threshold on the 30th. We spent ages going through all the various rooms, and picking out the finest-cheapest-gaudiest trinkets and banners to make this a Christmas in September like no other.

Some of the treasures we (unfortunately) had to walk past included an 8ft Santa Homer, electric-blue fake trees and possibly the coolest thing we saw in the shop: A battery operated santa suit that inflates to make itself extra huge (picture one of those sumo suits, but SANTA).
Here is a picture of the haul we ended up with. Believe me, the house is going to be overflowing with festive crap come the 30th of September!

I can't finish off without a little taster of what to look forward to, just to whet your appetite for the (not)yule time fun to come. BEHOLD SANTA CLAWS (I just thought that up! I'm amazing!)

Aww isn't he cute?

3 comments:

Sarah said...

Good stockin pickin Suzy!
I can hardly wait till Christmas now. Only 11 days to go!

Richard said...

Mostly your eyes are open... mostly...

Margs said...

The photo of Herc is now the second funniest thing on this blog....John and his fragging is still winning....sorry Herc...