Friday, September 23, 2005

Virtual Diseases

When I first heard about this, I assumed it was a stunt done on purpose by Blizzard, but apparently not.

Blizzard has an online game similar to Everquest called World of Warcraft. They just introduced a new boss monster which can give players a nasty disease, which can spread to their allies. Of course, they didn't think about this but not everyone who was getting the disease was having it cured before returning to their towns. Now the disease has spread over a huge area of the gaming world where it was never supposed to go, and is pretty much killing any player which catches it unless they are a high enough level.

Check out the article here, it's pretty funny (if you're a total geek).

7 comments:

john said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
john said...

That's v. funny. I take it Viral made it out safely.

Sarah said...

I find it SOOO hard dealing with the curiosity of a comment deleted before I know what it said. I'm such a busy-body!

Richard said...

I don't play the game myself, I found out about it through a webcomic.

Mark plays though, I wonder if he has been infected...

Margs said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Margs said...

if you die from this disease can you take a special potion to come back to life? or do you need bone pants?

john said...

I think you get the bone pants from the scantily clad warrior maiden