Tuesday, October 04, 2005

Homework - Blue Mountains Mama (and Papa)

So here it is. My first real submission to the blog. I was going to post another cracker but didn't want to offend anyone!

So this weekend, while most of you were working hard shearing sheep and (no doubt) drinking copious quantities of the amber nectar I was up in the Blue Mountains showing my Mum and Dad around the place. Amy came with us although she had been quite sick (even hospitalised) last week so wasn't really up to taking part in all the fun. She is feeling much better now though and I'm sure will be out to play again soon.

To start with was the obligatory visit to the Three Sisters.

Now I'm not sure what exactly it is that makes me so attractive to the elbows of happy snapping Japanese tourists but after a while I had to sit down and listen to the soothing sounds of the didgeridoo. (With brief intermissions so that photographs with happy snapping Japanese tourists could be taken.)


Onwards, upwards, round the corner and the downwards. Down the scenic railway anyway. I don't think my Mum was expecting the sudden drop in the darkness but seemed ok after a brief pause for breath at the bottom of the valley.

The valley floor is really quite special and almost inspired me to pursue a career in botany. Growing 'herbs' anyway!!




Then on to Little Hartley, the Jenolan Caves (which were spectacular, pictures of rock to follow) and back to katoomba for afternoon tea and a wee spot of shopping.

Finally dinner, drinks and a show and then bed. The venue: The Clarendon Hotel, Katoomba. Excellent food and the dulcet tones of Trude Aspeling, a South African born jazz singer with a voice not dissimilar to a young Nina Simone. Could one ask for more?

We decided to go budget and stay in a hostel but this hostel could have made it onto Getaway or The Great Outdoors. With an old fashioned cottage feel, comfortable beds and friendly guests it was a lovely place to stay.


Day 2:
Enter, stage left: French toast, bacon and maple syrup. Now there's a breakfast to get the heart starting! And a great way to start the homeward leg of our little jaunt up the mountain.

1 comment:

Margs said...

don't you mean heart stopping? ( the breakky I mean)