Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Potato Salad



So after a delightful day at Margie and Flit's engagement party being surround by people who seem to breed an awful lot (Bree's kid was my favorite - it was fun to have someone to play with) I decided I better start looking up Potato Salad recipes.

Roasted Rosemary Potato Salad


Ingredients
2 1/2 pounds tiny new red potatoes, halved or quartered
1 medium red onion, cut in wedges
1/4 cup olive oil, divided
2 tablespoons snipped fresh rosemary
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1 medium red sweet pepper, cut into bite-sized strips
3 tablespoons pine nuts, toasted


Directions
1. Preheat oven to 450 degree F oven. In a large mixing bowl combine potatoes, onion wedges, 2 tablespoons of the olive oil, rosemary, garlic, salt, and black pepper. Toss potato mixture to coat well; arrange in a single layer in a greased shallow roasting pan. Roast, uncovered, for 25 to 30 minutes or until potatoes are tender and lightly browned, stirring mixture twice. Transfer roasted potato mixture to a large bowl; set aside.
2. In a small bowl whisk together balsamic vinegar and remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil. Pour mixture over roasted potato mixture. Add red pepper pieces; toss gently to coat.
3. Turn potato salad into serving bowl. Sprinkle with pine nuts. Serve warm or at room temperature. Makes 6 servings.

Not you traditional Potato Salad but looks tasty.

So my challenge to all of you Foundation members is

Is there a perfect Potato Salad recipe out there?

Let me know

Nick - the good.

15 comments:

Jenny said...

Well, you're right, it does look tasty, but I don't know that it qualifies as potato salad, so much as roast-potatoes-in-a-bowl-with-some-balsamic-vinegar.

I think you can do better, and I think it may involve homemade mayonnaise. Work those arms!

Richard said...

I am not sure I understand the correlation between people breeding and eating potatoe salad. I suppose the fact that you do could explain an awful lot :)

Sarah said...

Uncle Nick who always brings the potato salad!

Margs said...

Hey Nicky, you need to get our recipe (I say OUR as I am endangered..the whole what's mine is yours principle applies here) but actually it is Flit's....did you try it at the bbq?

I think the secret is to not overcook the potatoes, you should be able to slide a fork into them, but they shouldn't have that flaky, ready-to-mush look.

Also you will need to cut the potatoes into smallish chuncks...about an inch cubed. Make sure when they are drained and placed in the bowl that you then mush some of them with a fork to get the glue-y effect.

mix them with a good egg mayo and chives (preferrably home-grown). add salt to taste and voila! potato salad fit for an Uncle!

Matt said...

Richie, the correlation is he likes eat both children and potato salad

Richard said...

And what do you likes eat matt?

Sarah said...

Oh Richie. Imagine what grammatical errors these people would get away with if we weren't here!

Sarah said...

BTW I Love Gretta's... I mean Flit's, potato salad. Yum!

Flit said...

Hmmm, so Margs are there any other Flitcroft recipe secrets you want to reveal to the world without the signed consent of all my dead ancestors???

Matt said...

ooh Julian, can you give us the secret Flitcroft recipe for eggy bread? How about Not-Bacon Surprise? (The surprise is it's not Bacon!)

Flit said...

Never I tell you, never

Margs said...

Darling, you should share your vast knowledge with the world....

and I find it kinda weird you referring to me as Margs.

Richard said...

Yes... now you're engaged the correct term is "Oi, Woman!"

Flit said...

'er indoors is the correct term I believe.

Margs said...

Oh Richie...is that how you'll be referring to Suzy when the time comes? or do you value your balls too much?